Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Alaska Observations

We arrived in Anchorage very early on Saturday morning, July 16th.  Since then we have seen a bunch of friends, started getting settled in our new home, had friends visit even, traveled to a few places, and attended the wedding of the year.

We have much to be thankful for …

DSC_1201

…………………………………………………………

We have done a fair amount of driving over the past few weeks.  During this time I’ve noticed some things that I may have (slightly) forgotten while living out of state for the past three years …

First, even though it’s pouring down rain outside and you can barely see neighbors across the street because it’s so socked in, the water hitting the roof is a beautiful sound.

Also, people often drive slower than the speed limit up here in the summer because of the beauty that is Alaska. While I totally understand that, I still curse the rubber-neckers.

The mosquitos did not relocate despite my wishing this with all of my might. And apparently the yellow jackets have over-produced.  (major understatement)

Being on the water (the ocean, the harbor, the river) is just as wonderful as I remember.  Even better now.

Summer in Alaska is warm.  Comfortable. Even hot some days.  And the air is fresh.  And the rain is beautiful!

The love that is family – and friends that are family – lives on despite years or miles or even experiences. My ties in Alaska run deep. Even though not all ties have been cultivated, they still exist.

…………………………………………………………

Before I forget, here are some photos showing where our travels have taken us:

DSC_0544
Uncle Brian’s on Horseshoe Lake

DSC_0750
Seward

DSC_0874 (2)
Moose Pass / Tern Lake – Hall Wedding

DSC_1219
Soldotna

DSC_1229
Portage side of Whittier Tunnel

IMG_2273 (2)
My home – Valdez! And Grandma Rhoden!!!

…………………………………………………………

It’s interesting to be able to say this even though we don’t yet have furniture in our new home … and we’re floating along the water in Prince William Sound …
but I feel grounded.

DSC_0594
Anchored.
Secure.
And it feels fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

we love your comments!! thanks for taking the time to reach out :-)